Sunday, February 20, 2011

--The Art Of Forgetting-- Update 4

The car ride to his family’s cabin was mildly romantic. He cranked the windows down, so the summer breeze swept through my curls. He had his hand on mine, and squeezed it whenever he got the chance. “Our Song” by Taylor Swift was playing on the radio.
 “Babes, what’s our song?” he asked.


“I have no clue....uh I guess when we splash into the lake, when you whisper in my ear telling me I’m beautiful?”
“Well I say...that ‘Our Song’ will be our song.” He grinned.  Oh how I love Kale.
Kale parked the truck alongside the cabin, and killed the engine. I let go of his hand and grabbed our things out of the back seat. Kale went to the trunk and pulled out a case of beer.
“Did you have to bring that?” I put my hands on my hips, and glared at him, “You know you always finish that case up yourself and then get drunk, and then we have no fun.”
“Don’t be like that Megan. I promise I won’t drink too much. Two beers that’s all. Scouts Honour!” he raised one hand in the hair, and the other on his heart. I rolled my eyes and snatched the keys from his hand.

I pushed open the door to the Nicolson’s cabin with my foot and one hand because someone wasn’t being a gentleman. The door softly closed behind me. I dropped our beach gear and cooler on the couch, and went to the bathroom. I splashed cool water on my face, and felt refreshed. I threw off my clothes, and slipped into my polka dot bikini. Kale helped me tie and the top on, and then he changed into his shorts. I grabbed my shades and sunscreen and went out the door. Kale had set up our beach chairs right on the dock. I ran to mine and laid there on my stomach. I closed my eyes, and blocked out any noise.
Someone slid their hands up my back and stopped around my back. I sat up and screamed. “Woah Megan, chill it’s just me.” His hands ran down my back and then slowly went around my waist. He sat behind me, and I leaned backwards. “I have a feeling this is going to be a good day,” he whispered.
“Me too,” I wrapped my hands around his neck, and embraced the warmth of the sun.

We sat like that for a while, and talking to one another. Then Kale got up and stood at the edge of the dock. He smiled at me, “Come here Megan, I want to show you something.”
Honestly I am not in the mood to get up, “bring it here.”
“I can’t it’s in the water.”
“Fine!” I pushed out of the chair and stood beside him, “I don’t see anything.”
“Are you sure?” he pointed a little further from last time.
“I’m positive Kale! What the hell is it?” Just at that moment he lifted me off the ground and into his arms, and plunged into the water. “KALE!” I screamed. I grabbed on to his neck tightly, and felt the water swallow us whole. When I had finally bobbed back up to the surface he was laughing. Oh no! He shouldn’t have. I jumped on him and pushed his head down. Quickly he grabbed my legs and went underneath me. I was now on his shoulders kicking away at him. “Drop me now Kale!”
“If you say so Megs!” he leaned backwards, and I went head first into the water. When Kale had realized what he had done, he dove in after me. I was underneath the blanket of water blowing bubbles, and waving my arms and legs around like a maniac. Kale grabbed me and swam back to the top. When we had resurfaced I coughed chunks of water. “I’m so sorry Megs,” Kale hugged me tightly. “Are you alright? I won’t do that again I promise.”
“Just shut up Kale,” I pushed him off me, and then gasped for air. Finally air was going through my lungs again.
“Are you alright Megs?” he pushed my hair behind my ears.
“Better...”
“I’m sorry Megan.”
“I forgive you,” I leaned forward and pressed my wet lips against his.
“I love how you forgive me...” he murmured.  We bounced in the water while kissing each other.  His hands were all over me, not leaving any piece of visible skin untouched. Then we started getting carried away. I noticed an unusual breeze on my chest, which I hadn’t, felt earlier. I did a quick check to see if my top was still on. When I looked down, it wasn’t there.  While Kale was kissing my neck I looked around to see where my top had gone. After scanning the lake twice, I saw it at least sixty feet away heading to the other side of the lake. I clasped my body on to Kale’s.
“Kale don’t look down, I’m missing my top,” I now realized that was a very stupid thing to say to a boy. Kale looked down, and just stared at the top of my boobs. “Don’t!” I slapped Kale gently across the face.
“Well...it’s not my fault your top is missing!” he blushed.
“Yes, it is!” I said annoyingly. “Don’t you dare think of letting me go now; I don’t want other people seeing my boobs. Now bring me back to shore, and please, please grab me a towel.” Kale did as I said and gave me a piggy back ride, back to shore. When he touched land I jumped off his back and belly flopped on the sand. It wasn’t the best idea I had at the moment but it covered me up. Kale chuckled and went inside the cabin to grab me a top. Soon Kale stepped out of the cabin with a lime green bra and my blue Areopostale sweater.
“Catch!” he throws them at me and it lands on my face. “Nice catch Megan.”
“Thanks Kale,” I grab the bra and quickly put it on. As soon as I got the goods covered I slipped into the sweater. He sat down beside me and pulled out a can of beer.
“Want one?” he glugged.
“No thanks, and remember mister you’re only having two!” I warned.
“Yes ma’am.”
This was the perfect time for me to tell Kale about the dream I had last night. Since it involved him he had the right to know.
“S-so Kale...about this morning...I need to talk to you,” I stuttered.
“Yeah what was wrong? You seemed scared.”
“Well...I had a dream about you...a-and you were drunk at a party....and then you got mad at me because I wasn’t getting in the car with you. So you decided to drive yourself home. Then my dream changed, and I was standing in a hospital with my parents, and yours. Your mom was crying, and your dad looked like he hadn’t slept in days. My dad then came up to me and told me....y-y-you....died,” tears rolled down my cheek, when I said the last part. Kale had noticed, and put an arm around me.
“Don’t worry Megan, nothing like that is ever going to happen to me. As long as I love you I ain’t going anywhere,” he gently kissed my forehead, “and trust me Megan I’m not ever going to stop loving you. You mean the world to me.”
“As long as I live Kale...I won’t let anything happen to you,” I squeezed him.

Two had turned into three...which had turned into five, so much for Scouts honour. Kale now was barely standing up. The sun had finally set, and the stars reflection was across the lake. Kale was lying down pointing at stars and naming them.
“That one issss Piiinky,” he slurred, “Megann wheeen weeee geeet marrrrried I’m—gonna name our kiiid Piinky!”
“Kale please shut up,” I yawned. Kale had ruined the rest of our night by drinking, and by acting like a total weirdo.
“Nooo yoooou shut uuuup wooooman!” he threw his beer can into the lake. I checked my watch and it was midnight. Might as well get some rest, or else he’ll keep drinking his ass off until there are no cans left.
“Kale please get up; time to go to bed,” I took his hand, and tried lifting him up. He just laid there making goofy faces at me. “Not funny Kale!”
“Yoooou goooo toooo beeed aaaannd I-I-I wiiiiiiilll staaaaaay uuuuuppp!”
“Kale stop being stubborn, you need the sleep. Also don’t ever think about bringing a case of beer with you!” I tried pulling him up again, but he just wouldn’t budge. After ten good minutes passed by, I gave up.
“Mooooooooooooo! Whaaaaaat maaaakes thaaaaat soooound?”
“YOU!” I punched his leg. This was no use! Just then the bushes beside the cabin started to shake. I scooted closer to Kale, and grabbed on to his shirt. “Kale there is something over there!” I whispered.
“A coooow?”
“No you idiot! I think it’s a bear or something!” I closed my eyes, and then slowly opened my right eye. Slowly my heart started to beat normally again.
Out of the bushes stepped out a boy. Not like a little boy, but a teenager like me.  He had soft brown hair, and piercing grey eyes. He was wearing swim trunks, and a muscle shirt.
“Did I scare you?” he asked. He took walked right up to Kale and me, and smiled.
“Yeah...kinda,” I blushed.
“Sorry,” he scratched his head, “I didn’t mean to. I heard some weird noises come from here, and my nieces were getting freaked out. So I decided to check what the hell it was, and the noise led me to you guys. Is everything alright?”
“Oh...well Kale can take the blame for that. He’s kinda drunk at the moment...and drunk Kale is weird Kale,” I laughed.
“I can see that...err...hear that,” he chuckled, “do you need any help picking him up, since he’s asleep?” I looked down at Kale, and noticed he was snoring softly.
“Yeah...that would be great actually.” The boy lifted Kale from his arms, and brought him to his feet. He took one side of Kale, and I took the other. Together we managed to carry him to the couch. When we finally laid him down, I put a blanket over him. “Thanks....uh....”
“Oh sorry, my name is Jared. And don’t mention it.”
“Thanks Jared. My name is Megan if you’re wondering,”
“So I take it that Kale is your boyfriend?” his voice had an uncertainty to it.
“Yeah...apparently future wife too,” I giggled. Then the silence kicked in. We stood there enclosed by the silence for a little bit.
“Well...I should get going. My nieces and friends must be waiting for me. It was nice to meet you Megan, and tell Kale he should lay off the beers if he wants to keep you.”
“Will do,” Jared walked out the door. When he’d left I closed it and locked it. Then turned back to Kale, he was on the couch sound asleep. This was the third time he ruined our special night with alcohol, and Jared was right, if he wanted to keep me...he has to give up alcohol.
I changed into my pyjamas and crawled into bed. When my head hit the pillow, I fell fast asleep. 

1 comment: