Saturday, February 19, 2011

--The Art Of Forgetting-- Update 2

Nate had finally gotten up, so I went back upstairs. I pulled out a stool, and sat on it. Mom turned around and frowned.
“Something wrong honey?” she walked over to my side and put an arm around my shoulder, “you seem kind of down today, something on your mind?”
“No I’m fine actually,” I lied. What was I supposed to tell her? That I dreamt Kale died!? They say if you share it with someone it comes true.  “Actually mom Kale and I are going to his cabin tonight,”
“Just you and Kale?” she sounded worried.
“Yes, is that a problem mom?”
 
“No sweetheart I trust you, it’s just that...you never seem to spend time with the family anymore. You always seem to have something to have something to do ever since you started dating him. I just miss you that’s all,” she frowned.
“Mom you can’t miss me when I’m here, and if you want we can spend the whole weekend together?”  I looked up at her and her face brightened.
“Sweetheart that would be wonderful, we could go book the spa...” she walked out of the room planning our weekend.
“Don’t worry about her Meggo,” Nate walked up the stairs all dressed, and ready to go. “She misses me all the time, and the weekends with her aren’t that bad. This one time we had a pottery class together!” he laughed.
“Yeah....that sure sounds a lot of fun!” I ignored the rest of what he had to say. Was I really spending every waking minute with Kale? Why shouldn’t I be...I used to have a major crush on him when we were little....

I was ten years old, when I had first met him. Addison and I were sitting on the swings at the local park. Addison was whining about the doll house her dad got her birthday.
“You know Megan pink isn’t the color I wanted for Jennifer’s room...” she babbled. Of course I sat there pretending to listen to her. While she rambled on and on about her doll house, I was scanning the park. Not many kids come to the park anymore; I used to remember when tons of kids came. There was no one by the tree house, no one by the slide, no one by the garden, no one by the water fountain, but there was...a boy with sandy blonde hair and blue eyes sitting under the shade of the tree.
“Hey who’s that?” I pointed at him.
“I don’t know, I think he’s new! Let’s go say hi!” she pulled me off the swing and ran to him. We were standing right in front of him, he looked up and smiled. When I first saw him up close I literally froze. His smile was so handsome, and genuine it made me feel sick. Lucky for me Addison did all the talking, and I just stood there and stared.....

New Years 2009

Kale had been gone for three months, and I had been missing him terribly. Over the years he and I got to know one another pretty well. He was my best-friend and maybe soon to be boyfriend. I was sitting cross-legged on Addison’s bed when my butt started to vibrate. I pulled out my phone, and literally screamed when I saw who the text message was from.
“Holy shit Addison! Kale texted me!”I freaked.
“What did he say!” she snatched the phone from my hand and read aloud, “Hey Megan! Guess what! I’m coming home on New Years! So I’ll see you at your party! Can’t wait to get my hugs from you and Addison ;)  xoxo Kale.” I jumped to my feet and grabbed the phone from her. I read over the message over again, and couldn’t believe it! He was coming home!
“Addison we need to go shopping!” I yanked her arm, “grab your card, because you’re paying for my outfit!”
On New Year’s Eve we had invited several families, and of course friends. There were kids, teenagers, and adults sprawled through the house. The little ones were playing hide-n-seek, the adults were having wine, and the teenagers were all in the basement doing who knows what! I was up sitting on the stairs, staring at my phone. I had sent him at least twenty text messages, and he never sent any back. Addison came up the stairs with a can of beer.
“Come downstairs! We are having a blast! Michelle just got stuck in the closet with Austin,” she laughed, “Oh and your cousin Victoria made out with Lisa, all the boys just whistled.”
“As much as that sounds fun....I’m not coming downstairs until Kale gets here,” I sighed. Where the fuck was he? I hope he didn’t miss his flight or something. Please, please get here soon!
“You can wait downstairs with me, and I heard that Noah wanted to get in the closet with you...” she raised her eyebrows, and licked her lips.
“I’ll pass...if I want to get in the closet then it’s going to be with---“I stopped. The front door opened and in walked Kale! I pushed Addison out of my way, and ran for Kale. I guess he saw me coming from a mile away considering the look on his face.
“Megan!” he opened his arms on cue, and I dove into them. He wrapped his arms around me tightly. “I missed you so much Megan,” he whispered.
“I missed you too.”
“Ahem...where is my hug you ass?” Addison tapped her foot against the laminated chest-nut floor.
“Right here, there’s always room for one more in these arms,” Addison gave him a hug, and stepped back. I had just realized that I still had my arms wrapped around him...how embarrassing. I let go and took a good look at him. He seemed much taller than I remembered, and his eyes seemed to be bluer. His hair never lost that Sandy shine. I noticed he also got a tan.
“So how have you been hot stuff?” Addison asked, “Do you want a beer?”
“I have been good, the trip was just relaxing. And no thanks, not in the mood to waste the night with beer. So how have my two favourite girls been?”
“I have been good; school has been boring without you Kale. Glad you’re back though!” Addison smiled, “Oh I gotta go, I bet it’s my turn for the closet!” she scurried down the stairs. Then it was just Kale and me alone...with a crowd of adults.
“You didn’t answer my question Megs,” he bumped my shoulder.
“Oh, basically what Addison said. School is boring, you have been missed by everyone,” especially me.
 “Anything new?” he asked nonchalantly.
“Nope...same old same old,”
“Why don’t we go downstairs, and meet everyone? And see how fun this closet game is...” At that moment I wanted to pull him back. I didn’t want to go downstairs and share him with everyone else; I wanted him to stay by my side the whole night.
“Sure,” I said quietly. As we walked down the stairs everyone greeted Kale. They all ran up to him and hugged him, offered him beer. As soon as everyone greeted him Michelle asked us if we wanted to play spin the bottle.
“ Kale spin the bottle is played differently today, to make things interesting. In the game we play you have a bottle, a hat with a bunch of tasks, and of course people. If you spin the bottle and it lands on someone, no matter what their gender is you have to do whatever you pull out of the hat.”Michelle explained. Kale and I sat down across from each other, since the seating code was boy, girl, boy, girl. Etc...
“Alright my turn!” Casey spun the bottle and it landed on Eric. The boys all whistled. Casey pulled out a slip of paper and read it out loud, “7 minutes in heaven...but don’t go in the closet. The couch is all yours you two.” Casey and Eric both got up and sat on the couch. Eric pulled her in and started feeling her up...I turned my head away in disgust. God let’s hope I don’t get something stupid!

1 comment:

  1. Reading it again, doubly as good Kami ! :D Looooove it <3

    ReplyDelete